Mount Meru is one of Africa's highest and most beautiful volcanoes. The route to the summit passes through parkland, montane forest, a giant heather zone and
moorland. Finally, the summit is reached by a narrow, barren ridge which
provides stunning views of the Ash Cone lying several
thousand feet below in the crater and Kilimanjaro in the background. Over 400
species of birds, rhino, elephant, buffalo, baboon, warthog, black
and white Colobus monkey and duiker are all found in this delightful 'gem
amongst parks'. The visit to the Ngurdoto crater and Momella lakes, with their
superb scenery, flamingoes and other wildlife, is an unforgettable experience.
The group will be accompanied on Mount Meru by a Park Guide and porters.
On the mountain we use dormitory style huts. A sleeping bag and mat are
required for the huts.This is a tough walking trip with some steep terrain.
3 Day Trek + 2 nights hotel $760 pp
4 Day Trek + 2 nights hotel $926 pp
Single supplement $70
Program Book Now
- Arrive at Springlands hotel, near Moshi (airport transfers can be arranged) for overnight B&B
- Drive to the park gate and walk through game-filled parkland up to Miriakamba
Hut, at 2470m. Along the way there are many fine views; including Kilimanjaro
from Miriakamba Hut.
- The path passes through fine forests and heather to the Saddle Hut, at
3500m, 3 hours walking. From here you can rest at the camp for the afternoon
For those feeling energetic - an ascent of Little Meru is possible.
- A 2am start takes you to Rhino Point (3800m/12,467ft). In icy conditions or bad winds it may become unreasonable to continue up from this point though the sunrise views are just as spectacular. If conditions allow continue steeply up to Cobra Point (4350m/14271ft). Continue steeply for about an hour to reach the summit of Meru. Return to Miriakamba. (Those taking the 3 day option will continue down to the gates)
- A fast descent back to the Park Gates, 2 hours. You should remember to tip your staff at this point as you will leave them when your vehicle picks you up to return to the Springlands hotel for overnight B&B.
- Leave the hotel after breakfast.
Map (east) | Trekking Programs | Book Now